1. The government is hoping the distribution of stimulus checks will be enough to forestall a severe recession.
2. To forestall the bank from foreclosing on his home, Jack sold all of his personal belongings to catch up on his mortgage payments.
3. To forestall the blackmailers from their threats, the celebrity sold her indecent pictures to an online website.
4. Fortunately at the last minute, a mediator was able to talk to the two world leaders and forestall a war.
5. Liquor stores are required to check identification for anyone who looks under thirty in order to forestall underage driving.